Friday, October 10, 2008

Heading for Deer Camp!

In about two hour my family and I will be heading to Iowa's East Coast (the Mississippi River) for early muzzleloader deer season. We will be hunting Whitetail deer (Odocoileus virginianus), and we have the potential of getting 3 deer this year (we have three tags). We plan on doing the butchering ourselves, but we will have a local meat locker make up some ring bologna and maybe some jerky for us. Here is a picture from last year’s successful hunt.
I carry a .62 caliber flintlock smooth-rifle that was custom made for me by a gentleman from Indiana. I won it in a shoot when I was about 16 or 17 years old. I like using a smoothbore flintlock because of the versatility and added challenge. Since it is not rifled I am limited to around 100 yard shots, but once I have my deer I am able to load it with shot and hunt small game.

3 comments:

The Suburban Bushwacker said...

Hope it wnet well. What are you making with the hides?
SBW

Anonymous said...

SBW,
We sell them and they are made into gloves. Someday when I own my own home, and have space to work on such projects I want to start tanning them myself.

Iowa Woodsman said...

Hey Norseman, You and I ought to talk. I dont think we are to far from each other. I live by Malvern off of 34. Also, I just started a blog and could use some help getting the word out. Its Iowa Woodsman. Drop me a line

Barnislavia