Monday, October 27, 2008

Deer Camp 2008

Here are a couple of picture from deer camp. The first shows most of this years hunters. My Grandpa is seated in front, he is still hunting at age 97! I hope I can hunt for that long. The other is a pic of one of the deer I got. She was a pretty good sized doe, she had close to three inches of fat on her back!

My Dad is pointing to where I hit her, which was exactly where I aimed. We were pretty impressed because it was a 130 yard shot (he measured it three times!).

I used a .50 caliber flintlock rifle with a patched round ball and 90 of FFFG black powder.

I got another deer (a button buck) a couple of days before at about 35 yards. We processed both of the deer ourselves. I would have to say that my favorite part of deer hunting is the butchering process. There is something exceedingly satisfying about providing food for your family literally from field, to table and doing all yourself (with a little help from your Mom and Dad of course!). Thanks Mom and Dad!

I didn’t use my smoothrifle as much as I would have liked because it was shooting 18” low ad 50 yards after we got it back from the gunsmith. I just didn’t have the time to try to sight it in so I used my old Cabela’s Blue Ridge Rifle.

Besides the great deer hunting with my family (there were four generations at deer camp) I got to do some of the best wildlife watching I’ve done in my life while waiting for the deer to come by. I saw…
1 Woodcock two different times (My Dad saw three)
1 Brown creeper
2 Red fox
2 Coyotes
5 Pileated woodpeckers
15 Gold-crown kinglets
and 1 Sharp shinned hawk that flew within 6” of my right elbow.

Why can’t deer season be 365 days long?

4 comments:

Iowa Woodsman said...

Hey Norseman, I sent that book today. You should get it in a couple of days.

Rabid Outdoorsman said...

First of all congrats!

Second it is awesome that you were able to enjoy time with such a wide range of generations. I sure bet your 97 year old grandpa has some stories to tell!

Our deer season starts tomorrow!

Unknown said...

Hey Iowan, good work on the deer harvesting. I love seeing all the other wildlife in the woods too. During this years elk hunt I watched a Goshawk at 30yd for over 10 minutes and a bighorn ram chase and try to mount a ewe. Good Times! Keep up the good blogging.

Hubert Hubert said...

I've really enjoyed reading this lovely post and seeing your remarkable photos.