Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Buck Saw

This is a bucksaw that I put together recently for a improvised equipment class I taught. I had never mad one before this and it worked REALLY well! I tested it out by felling a 6" diameter Ironwood tree/Eastern hophornbeam (Ostrya virginiana) and it worked as well as a store bought model.

The uprights and cross braces are made from Gray dogwoods (Cornus racemosa) . The blade is from a local hardware store and it set me back $2.99. The turnbuckle at the top is jute twine wrapped six times before it was twisted.

4 comments:

Pablo said...

That's a great looking saw. Glad it works too.
Pablo.
Pablo's Woodlife

Mungo said...

Yes, that is terrific. Would you consider taking it apart, taking some close up photos, and demonstrating exactly how you put it together?

(Your audience is very demanding...)

:-)

Mungo

Anonymous said...

I can do that. I gave it to my Dad this past weekend, but he is coming to visit me this weekend. I'll ask him to bring it so I can get some more pics.

Mark said...

Wow! That is pretty ingenious.